Preparedness begins NOW!
Have a plan for work/school/recreation/communications
Evacuation routes to Safe Havens/Shelters (day/night)
Build your disaster preparedness kit and have it at the ready.
- Follow the order and evacuate immediately.
- Move inland to higher ground immediately.
- Pick areas 100 feet (30 meters) above sea level or go as far as 2 miles (3 kilometers) inland, away from the coastline; or authorized Safe Havens aboard DoD Installations.
- Stay away from the beach. Never go down to the beach to watch a tsunami come in. If you can see the wave you are too close to escape it.
- If there is noticeable recession in water away from the shoreline this is nature's tsunami warning and it should be heeded. You should move away immediately.
Tsunami Notification Definitions
||Inundating wave possible
||Full evacuation suggested
||Strong currents likely
||Stay away from the shore
||Danger level not yet known
||Stay alert for more Information
Tsunami Warnings/Advisories by Japan Meteorological Agency